Texan Lock & Key is dedicated to helping you keep your home safe. We know that with the right locking system, it can help keep your home safer. However there are other weaknesses homes have that burglars look for, and not just a cheap lock they can easily pick to gain entrance. Today Texan Lock & Key wants to share some studies that show what burglars look for when they are planning on targeting a home.
Why Burglars Single Your Home Out to Break Into?
1. No security system. If a home doesn’t have a security system, most burglars are more confident in breaking into a home. Without security, such as alarms, cameras, and linked systems to a security agency makes your home a bigger and more attractive target.
2. Poor exterior lighting. Homes with either poor or no lighting at all also make burglars feel more confident in entering your property without being noticed or seen. If your home doesn’t have any light such as front or back yard lighting or motion sensor lighting they are prone to more break-ins.
3. Signs no one is home. Burglars will watch a neighborhood and take note when the home is empty, especially when kids are back in school. They will watch for homes where the kids are at school and both parents are gone. They will also target homes during the summer or during popular vacation events and holidays. If you do go on vacation, make sure you have someone collect your mail and newspapers while you’re gone. If possible, leave a vehicle outside to make it look like someone is home. Additionally, never broadcast on social media that you’re planning a vacation and when. If you want to share how great the vacation was, wait until you get home and keep that information minimal.
4. No dogs. Dogs often play a big role in deterring burglars. For those with loud and territorial dogs, most burglars will avoid these homes in fear of the dog’s aggression or that they may alert neighbors or homeowners. If you are not the type of person who wants or even likes dogs but want to give the illusion you have a dog, put a dog toy near the back gate or even in the front yard to give a burglar the impression that you have a dog roaming your yard and home.
5. Homes near a major highway. Homes that are located near a major highway are often targeted since a person can get in and out of the home and onto a major highway in order to get far from the crime scene. They also can easily get mixed up in the cluster of other vehicles on the road. For homes that are located near a major freeway, and especially if an on ramp is within 5 miles of your home, you may want to consider having a proper home defense.
Locksmith Services in KILLEEN, AUSTIN, SAN ANTONIO, ROUND ROCK, SAN MARCOS, FRISCO, NEW BRAUNFELS & HOUSTON TEXAS
Texan Lock & Key provides security management and inspection services. If you’re not sure if your home is properly secured, or you want to improve your current security system, contact Texan Lock & Key. We can help inspect and improve your homes security and help keep your home and family safe.